Saturday, September 6, 2008

Tilth Ratatouille

This afternoon I needed a break from the article I'm currently working on: "Lady Montagu's Smokers' Pastils and The Graphic: Advertising the Harem in the Home." I decided I'd had enough of theorizing about an anachronistic celebrity endorsement used to sell floral breath lozenges to genteel Victorian ladies. So I went to Seattle Tilth's Harvest Fair. Look at some of the beauties I picked up: heirloom tomatoes, little stripey eggplants, and a couple random sweet peppers all from Alvarez Organic Farm.


I threw the eggplants, one purple pepper, a few roma tomatoes, and some garlic cloves into a bowl with olive oil, basil, salt and pepper, and I tossed. Then I roasted this mess in a 400 degree oven. Meanwhile, I opened a bottle of Bung Dog Red from Bonair Winery. As long as we're doing produce from Yakima, might as well do wine from the Yakima Valley too, eh? I chopped up some onions and mushrooms and sauteed them together in a large wok-type pot in olive oil. When the vegetables were done roasting I threw them into the wok-pot along with a splash of Bung Dog Red.



While the ratatouille simmered I made some bowtie pasta. I mixed the stew up with the pasta and added Parmesan. Then I treated myself to a super large bowl of this Tilth Ratatouille because it's fuel for the Iron Girl Seattle Women's 10k race tomorrow morning!

2 comments:

Patti Auburn said...

Dudette! Looks awesome. Good luck on the 10K. This is a great blog. I'm going to link it on mine.

pokerface-problem said...

Yum! I wish I was there to savor it! It's the kind of thing that would make awesome leftovers...I *love* this 'new you'. It's very you. The best Kellie-fit I've seen so far.