Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Summer "Break" Update 1

Book review? drafted (and then I found out it's not due until end of June, so I'm a month ahead--victory!--but anyway, it's a double header of this and this)

Beehives? we moved the bees from their mailing packages into their gorgeous new waterfront apiaries this week

Bad television show? watched (Hemlock Grove S1)

Banjo? not much--the C chord is hard to get right and my kid screams when she sees me bring out "jo jo"

Sewing? so far, just this dress (Simplicity 5695)

Next up:
1. Felt food is my newest DIY toy project idea... who knew there was this out there?
2. Matching outfits for me, the kid, her dolly
3. Book proposal and prep for RBS course in June
4. Finish reading The Beetle and move on to a real "for fun" book, as opposed to reading something fun that I also plan to teach in the fall
5. Sign up for banjo lessons

2 comments:

Paige said...

I recommend Elizabeth Wein's Rose Under Fire, which is a companion novel to Code Name Verity -- though admittedly, it'll probably be more intense than "for fun." Also amazing: Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Jinni, because turn-of-the-century NY, and awesome plotting; or Ari Goelman's The Path of Names, which is totally Chaim Potok meets Diana Wynne Jones; or Maria Semple's Where'd You Go, Bernadette?, if you're missing Seattle.

My Own Wife said...

Yay! Thanks Paige. But wait: is Rose Under Fire remotely as hauntingly good as Code Name Verity was?